httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: oh... the irony
Date Wed, 26 May 1999 05:46:01 GMT
On Tue, 25 May 1999, Greg Stein wrote:

> Funny that Apache is one of the most successful open-source efforts to
> date, yet it is still subject to the whims of corporate intellectual
> property concerns...
>
> Sigh. Had to be said.

Dude, it's not just corporations who have IP concerns -- universities also
have IP concerns.  The MPL 1.0 is just wrong in the patent clause, and any
university lawyer awake enough would prevent all their employees from
contributing code to an MPLed program... because doing so compromises the
university's IP.

A lot of open source folks come from universities.

I know your frustration -- apache-nspr never went anywhere because NSPR
was under the NPL.  It's not "all bad", we learned stuff (some day someone
needs to mine out the bugfixes and stuff I did in nspr which will
otherwise be lost ;)

One of these days I hope to understand this need for all open source
projects to include all other open source projects in their source tree ;)

Dean