httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: fix for hybrid server problems.
Date Mon, 17 May 1999 15:40:20 GMT

On Mon, 17 May 1999, Dan Kegel wrote:

> No need for a second process on those OS's that support sendfile(),
> I think, 'cause then the disk I/O is done in the background for
> you by the kernel.
> (Cool, another reason to try sendfile()!)

sendfile() blocks as well.  At least on linux it does, and I'd be
surprised if it didn't block elsewhere.  There is no "completion" call for
sendfile() -- you need a completion call in order to do things
asynchronously.

Or you can peek at the linux kernel source, mm/filemap.c, search for
do_generic_file_read, notice the wait_on_page() call.

Dean