httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: Graceful child shutdown in the presence of accept serialization
Date Fri, 07 May 1999 23:46:22 GMT
On Fri, 7 May 1999, Valentin Bazavan wrote:

> Mutexes are not supposed to work among processes. Instead, semaphores should
> be used. Posix memory-based semaphores would fit the bill nicely (on systems
> that implement them).

According to "man pthread_mutex_init" on a solaris 2.6 box it's supposed
to work:

	Mutexes can synchronize threads within the same  process  or
	in  other  processes.  Mutexes  can  be  used to synchronize
	threads between processes if the mutexes  are  allocated  in
	writable  memory  and shared among the cooperating processes
	(see mmap(2)), and have been initialized for this task.

That's why I wrote the code... but in practice it turns out to have
problems.

Dean