httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: ap_ vs apr_ revisited.
Date Thu, 20 May 1999 03:47:01 GMT
On Wed, 19 May 1999, Dean Gaudet wrote:
> On Wed, 19 May 1999, Ryan Bloom wrote:
>
> >     [ ] ap_       [ ] apr_        [ ] I don't care.
>
> [x] democracy is not an effective business strategy
>
> Dean

I agree. This is silliness. Are we just going to keep voting until Ryan
gets his way?

We went through this just a couple weeks ago. NOTHING HAS CHANGED. Why is
this happening yet again?

Ryan said something about porters not being able to discriminate what
needs to be ported from what is generic. That is a bunk reason. The
directory structure makes it quite clear what is platform specific vs.
generic. Prefixes will not alter anything there.

The other arguments (e.g. "forcing people to rewrite" vs "they have to
anyway") are silly to re-iterate yet again. We went though those before
and those answers certainly have not changed.

I vote to stop this silliness, leave the current ap_ prefix, and continue
without these periodic voting requests.

Regards,
-g

--