httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: FW: "high performance web server"
Date Thu, 27 May 1999 18:01:50 GMT
On Thu, 27 May 1999, Martin Kraemer wrote:

> [...]

Mindcraft turned them off, but the benchmark they use doesn't support
keepalives anyway.  Well, it does but they configured it not to use them
because the people doing this really have no idea how often connections
are or are not keepalive.  Often you see two tests; one with no
keepalives, one with infinite keepalives.  Both are not real world.

In addition, disabling keepalives can be very helpful on a real world
server running out of resources.  If you are hitting MaxClients (or not
hitting it but have enough processes to start swapping routinely), then
disabling keepalives will help the system, with the obvious tradeoff.