httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: fix for hybrid server problems.
Date Mon, 10 May 1999 04:50:39 GMT
On Sun, 9 May 1999 unknown@riverstyx.net wrote:

> I was thinking, in order for you guys to better benchmark Apache against
> real-world types of stresses (since you obviously don't have high volume
> real world servers that you can just play with on a whim) if you could get
> a network set up with, say, 8 32-port DigiBoards on 8 low-end Pentium
> routers, and putting all the test servers from there, running SLIP from
> the serial ports, you could effectively simulate the common long haul
> clients.  256 bandwidth constrained clients would be much more like what a
> real webserver deals with.

You would need a pretty tiny or inefficient server to saturate it
with 256 low speed connections.  Simulating real world situations isn't
easy.

I still think the real way to do that sort of testing is just to get
someone to done bandwidth, and setup a free porn site.  I am actually at
least somewhat serious.