httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Valentin Bazavan" <baza...@hpias.cup.hp.com>
Subject Re: redirect in post-read phase
Date Tue, 18 May 1999 21:58:42 GMT
On May 18,  2:00pm, Dean Gaudet wrote:
> Subject: Re: redirect in post-read phase
>

> On Tue, 18 May 1999, Valentin Bazavan wrote:
>
> > On May 18, 10:35am, Dean Gaudet wrote:
> > > Subject: Re: redirect in post-read phase

> Why don't the standard auth hooks work for you?

I didn't try the standard auth hooks. The post-read hook seemed to be the best
place for an admission controller, because it is called even before the
authentication phase. (The admission controller admits based on system load
and other considerations, it's not another authentication module.)

> Yeah I know how it works -- people hack together a solution that appears
> to work using the first thing they find... and generally don't find the
> right solution the first time... and then report bugs on things which

You are exactly right.

> they're using in ways we didn't intend... and then when we ask, "why
> didn't the standard way that module foobar uses work for you?"  they say

Maybe because when you do it the first time you don't realize what is the
"standard" way to do it?

> something like "oh, I didn't think of copying your examples"... to
> paraphrase things :)
>
> Yeah yeah there's no docs.  But there's a bunch of examples :)

Yes, indeed, there is plenty of code to look at. Reading the code is very
helpful in finding out how to do something, but it's not always obvious why
it is (or has to be) done that way.

Anyway, my comment was meant as a tribute, not a criticism. The fact that
something can be used in ways beyond the original intent is a "feature," not a

Valentin Bazavan