httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Hyde <bh...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: Context types in APR.
Date Mon, 03 May 1999 15:39:18 GMT

> ... contexts ... I see them as a place to control APR's behavior, and a
> place for users to put their own data.

1. control APR's behavior

What behavior does APR have that is not part of the objects
that APR implements.  If your controling the behavior of a
thread, then pass a thread object.  If you controling the
behavior of a file pass a file object.  If the operations on
object X require access to object Y then store Y in a field
of X or pass X as a parameter to that operation.

I'm uncertain what you mean "cancel."  Is this not an operation
on a thread?

2. place for user data.

Why would APR need access to user data except to provide a way
for users to extend it's types?  Why would the users want to
use your wild card place for data rather than his own?

Can you point me to another system with a context like abstraction
so I might be able to build some sympathy for what I'm currently
seeing as just random "innovation."

Do you believe that the apache module methods will all change
to take this additional parameter?

  - ben