httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Juergen Schmidt ...@ct.heise.de>
Subject Linux/Apache and SMP - my fault
Date Wed, 26 May 1999 14:24:22 GMT
Hello,

I reported "disastrous" performance for Linux and Apache on a SMP
system.

To doublecheck, I've downloaded a clean kernel source (2.2.8 and 2.2.9)
and had to realize, that those do *not* show the reported penalty when
running on SMP systems.

My error was to use the installed kernel sources (which I patched from
2.2.5 to 2.2.8 - after seeing the first very bad results). But those
sources already had been modified before the machine came to me. Should
have thrown them away in the first place :-(

I still don't understand, what exactly caused the problems (and why the
patches supplied by Andi and Andrea solved them). I'll try to find out
more via diff.

Now I'm doing everything again from scratch (inculding the test with
your patches).
If there's interest I can keep you updated on my results.

Please take my excuses for this confusion.

bye, juergen

--
Juergen Schmidt   Redakteur/editor  c't magazin      PGP-Key available
Verlag Heinz Heise GmbH & Co KG, Helstorferstr. 7, D-30625 Hannover