httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: oh... the irony
Date Wed, 26 May 1999 10:55:00 GMT
Dean Gaudet wrote:

> On Tue, 25 May 1999, Greg Stein wrote:
>
> > Funny that Apache is one of the most successful open-source efforts to
> > date, yet it is still subject to the whims of corporate intellectual
> > property concerns...
> >
> > Sigh. Had to be said.
>
> Dude, it's not just corporations who have IP concerns -- universities also
> have IP concerns.  The MPL 1.0 is just wrong in the patent clause, and any
> university lawyer awake enough would prevent all their employees from
> contributing code to an MPLed program... because doing so compromises the
> university's IP.
>
> A lot of open source folks come from universities.
>
> I know your frustration -- apache-nspr never went anywhere because NSPR
> was under the NPL.  It's not "all bad", we learned stuff (some day someone
> needs to mine out the bugfixes and stuff I did in nspr which will
> otherwise be lost ;)

Yah, I hear you and agree... I'm definitely aware of the need and even
agree with the necessity to avoid "bad" licenses. I just find it quite
ironic that the open-source development methodology is effectively a
response against intellectual property (closed, proprietary source), yet
we still fall prey to IP issues.

NSPR is an excellent case in point; Expat is less so.

Frankly, I have no problem with removing Expat for now; I just wish that
it didn't have to be so. But hey... these licenses are put in place to
*protect* us against IP issues, so they should be respected :-)

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/