httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dan Kegel <d...@alumni.caltech.edu>
Subject Re: ap_ vs apr_ revisited.
Date Thu, 20 May 1999 05:01:18 GMT
Greg Stein wrote:
> Ryan said something about porters not being able to discriminate what
> needs to be ported from what is generic. That is a bunk reason. The
> directory structure makes it quite clear what is platform specific vs.
> generic. Prefixes will not alter anything there.

Well... it seems to me that anyone reading source code rather
than looking at directories will have to stop and scratch his/her
head to figure out which side of the tracks any particular function
is on.  If I were writing it, I'd certainly use a different prefix.

Linus' viewpoint on these matters has been "The most elegant / practical
code wins", even if it means plugin (driver) writers have to adapt.
It's served him well.  It'll probably be ok for Apache, too.

- Dan