httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Stipe Tolj <t...@uni-duesseldorf.de>
Subject Re: apache 1.3.6 cygwin port integration
Date Mon, 17 May 1999 07:50:28 GMT
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but if your port uses the cygwin library
> (rsp. is linked against this library) it _must_ be distributed under
> the GPL. This is a problem, because Apache has its own license which
> is not 'compatible' with GPL. In other words, we cannot incorporate a
> patch/port which is covered by the GPL...

Cygnus has made some modifications to their cygwin library lincense which weaks
up the GPL. I'll check this with the guys from Cygnus, they mentioned before
that they would be willing to "change" their cygwin library license for special
reasons and projects, granding the ability to use the library without the need
to distribute the resulting applications under GPL.

May this be a solution to the licensing problem?

> If the cygwin license terms only apply to binary releases which
> include the cygwin library it is probably possible to add your
> port to our source distribution (comments?).

yep, it applies for binary releases since any patched source distribution _does
not_ include any portion of the cygwin library. Hence an integration of the
cygwin patch for apache would be covered by both licensing terms in source code
form.

> But if you distribute binaries of your port under the name 'Apache'
> you either violate the GPL license or the Apache license.

that's right. We currently do distribute a binary distribution _including_
apache, the CAMP distribution (stand for Cygwin Apache mSQL MySQL PHP3). We
explicitly preconditioned within the distribution that any individual licensing
agreement applies for the individual software package. The guys from Cygnus
know about this binary distribution and they seem to accept it.

Regards,
Stipe

--
Stipe Tolj <tolj@uni-duesseldorf.de>

Cygwin Porting Project -- "We build UNIX on top of Windows"
http://www.student.uni-koeln.de/cygwin/

Department of Economical Computer Science
University of Cologne, Germany