httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Eli Marmor <mar...@elmar.co.il>
Subject Re: Annoying Installation Problem and a Possible Elegant Solution
Date Thu, 13 May 1999 15:05:39 GMT
David Harris wrote:

> In rely to Eli Marmor, Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:
> > You seem to be arguing in circle here.  But, I do think it is a good idea
> > to add -f and -d switches to apachectl and if you feel like writing a
> > little perl/sed/awk script that massages a set of .conf files to change
> > the paths, go for it.  I personally don't think this is a big deal though.
>
> A while go I created an Apache RPM file which does exactly this - it creates
> a little test apache setup in /usr/apache/test by just modifying the
> configuration files and apachectl with sed.
>
> Grab it at:
> http://www.davideous.com/misc/apache-mod_ssl.spec
>
> No binary patching is required. That's because the binary path constants
> _are just defaults_ and can be easily overridden in the configuration file.
> Actually the default configuration file does not even use the defaults..
> the -f option does everything you need.

Thank you for the examples; However, I already wrote that the
combination of binbuild.sh + install-bindist.sh does it.
Unfortunately, while most of the involved files are patched by it,
there are some which are still aren't touched. I already posted to
the list (a few hours ago) a fix to binbuild.sh which extends the
support to apxs.

If you remember, when I found these scripts (binbuild.sh +
install-bindist.sh) in the distribution, I wrote that it is not
acceptable that they are not documented anywhere. David's message
proves it: People (including me) re-invent the wheel again and
again, just because nobody told us that these scripts are there.
IMHO, binbuild.sh (maybe with some improvements, and support for
customization through flags, like configure, which will be added
to the "CONFIGPARAM=" definition) should be the default and
recommended way to build Apache. Of course, it is legitimate to
disagree with this opinion, but nobody can disagree that at least
it should be documented.

--
Eli Marmor
 *   ___ _  __ ___  __    _ |__ _ _    marmor@elmar.co.il      *