httpd-dev mailing list archives

From papageorgio <papageor...@efortress.com>
Subject Apache port to PVM(BeoWulf Clusters)?
Date Thu, 13 May 1999 01:53:23 GMT
This post concerns the desire of a small group to port Apache to
PVM (Boewulf clustering API), and whether or not there is a need
or want for such a port.

First off I will outline this long and winding post.  This way if
you are not to interested, you can skip to this or that then move
on.

I.    Who are we?
II.   What is pvm?
III.  What can be achieved by a port to pvm?
 1.  Apache would be instantly ported new platforms.
 2.  advanced load balancing.
 3.  higher degree of clustering configuration options.
 4.  PVM is an API not an OS.
IV.  Things to consider that may not make it worth a port.
 1.  Apache can already be clustered.
 2.  Many of the new platforms do not have a big need for Apache.
 3.  PVM offers no increase in speed.
 4.  The level of complexity would increase.
V.  What do you think?

Note:  I have tried to make this as short as possible, so many things
were left out (Like Detail), however if there is an interested in this
then we can clarify, research and discuss it in detail.

I.Who are we?

We are a small group of developers and demented linux users with our own
cluster (www.netttrash.com/users/thepile).

II.  What is pvm?

PVM is one of massage passing API's used to form Beowulf clusters.  It
allows several heterogeneous computers to be networked together in order
to use the sum of there hardware to create the allusion of a single a
parallel processing computer.

III. What can be achieved by a port to pvm?

1.  Apache would be instantly ported new platforms.

PVM has been ported to all kinds of platforms and by porting
Apache to PVM, Apache would be simultaneously ported to those
platforms.  For information see www.epm.ornl.gov/pvm/pvmArch.html

2.  advanced load balancing.

Porting Apache to PVM would give it advanced load balancing
capabilities, PVM monitors and adjusts automatically tasks per
machine.  Distribution can also be manually set, from the process
level to the cluster overall.

3.  a higher degree of clustering configuration options.

PVM has an infinite number of ways it can be clustered.  Since PVM
sits ontop of the OS it is only limited by the OS's network
capabilities.

4.  PVM is an API not an OS.

PVM is not tied to an OS or a kernel.  So as OS's evolve most changes
will effect PVM not Apache.

IV.  Things to consider that may not make it worth a port.

1.  apache can already be clustered.

2.  Many of the PVM platforms do not have a big need for apache.

granted a cluster of Cray2s running apache would be cool.

3.  PVM offers no increase in speed.

PVM would not offer an increase in tasks completed per computer, but it
would be comparible to a round robin cluster using software routing.

4.  The level of complexity would increase.

Since the BeoWulf clusters design is only limited by your imagination,
fine tuning would be just short of organizing cats into marching lines.

V.What do you think?

Is this a bad idea that would amount to nothing more than a waste of
time?
Is this a good idea that would amount to nothing more than a waste of
time?
It is interesting but more information is needed to comment.
Yah this is good idea and it could be used.

papageorgio