httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Raymond S Brand <r...@rsbx.net>
Subject Re: Change relative path for AuthUserFile, perhaps?
Date Wed, 12 May 1999 13:36:00 GMT
Actually, all of the Auth*File directives are documented as taking absolute
paths, with Auth{File|Group}File also taking paths relative to ServerRoot.

I seem to recall that the original behavior of the Auth*File directives was
that they were relative to AccessFile directory and that the behavior was
changed because people were allowing their passwd files to be served. Some-
one with access to the CVS history could look that up.

I, personally, would prefer that the Auth*Files be relative to the
AccessFile directory (with warnings in the documentation) or absolute paths.
DocumentRoot is not always meaningful, think about the Alias and UserDir
directives; ServerRoot can be on a read only partition. This would benefit
virtual hosting setups and multi department/project setups of the kind I've
been doing.

Raymond S Brand