httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Eli Marmor <mar...@elmar.co.il>
Subject Re: Annoying Installation Problem and a Possible Elegant Solution
Date Tue, 11 May 1999 14:19:44 GMT
Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:

> Eli Marmor wrote:
> >
> > But apachectl is only one of many things which should be patched in
> > order to allow a smooth move of Apache to another location, and my
> > purpose is to cover all the things.
>
> I never use apachectl and I actually thought it had a -f flag, but it
> doesn't look like it does.  I think it should.  That way you could just
> do a apachectl -f/path/httpd.conf restart or perhaps a -d/path would be
> cleaner.  That way you could also use the same apachectl script to control
> multiple servers.  I don't think it is a good idea to mangle apachectl at
> configure-time like you are suggesting.

It is not enough. There are a lot of other things to change. Like
all the config files. The minimal complement for the addition of
"-f" to apachectl, is a re-configure + make install (WITHOUT MAKE!),
as I wrote in my original message, but it is ugly. What I proposed
as the ideal solution, was a script to replace pathes etc., after
moving the Apache binary tree to a new location.

--
Eli Marmor