httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Eli Marmor <mar...@elmar.co.il>
Subject Re: Annoying Installation Problem and a Possible Elegant Solution
Date Tue, 11 May 1999 13:48:29 GMT
Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:

> > The most annoying installation problem for me, and I believe that
> > for most of the Apache users/administrators/integrators/etc., is
> > that a part of the configuration is done BEFORE the build, and some
> > of the results are hard-coded into the generated files, sometimes in
> > binary files (such as httpd). While it is possible to override these
> > values (for example by flags), some of the tools don't allow to use
> > flags (e.g. apachectl).
>
> Nothing is hardcoded.  Everything can be overridden in the httpd.conf
> file.  Even the location of this file can be set at run-time.  I always
> just do:  httpd -f /path/httpd.conf

Please read what I wrote before replying. I mentioned exactly this
flag in my message. My message, for example, proposed to insert,
exactly this flag ("-f /path/httpd.conf") into apachectl,
automatically by a script, or by the "make install" when the last
"./configure" was invoked AFTER the last make.

But apachectl is only one of many things which should be patched in
order to allow a smooth move of Apache to another location, and my
purpose is to cover all the things.

--
Eli Marmor