httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: Context types in APR.
Date Fri, 07 May 1999 21:15:10 GMT
Ben Hyde wrote:

> This is the classic end to end issue.  At what layer in the
> onion is the multiplexing done?  It doesn't belong in the pool
> it belongs on the data structure being shared.

No, it belongs on the structure to which access needs to be
synchronised.  So I back off my earlier query and submit
instead that the lock-or-not bit belongs in the pool structure.
It's the pool routines that will be doing the synchronising.
When you create a pool that doesn't require synchronising,
such as one associated with a thread object, the bit in the
new pool structure gets set accordingly.

Proper treatment of this wrt signals requires some thought.
--
#ken    P-)}