httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Eli Marmor <mar...@elmar.co.il>
Subject Legal Inclusion of mod_ssl in the Standard Distribution of 1.3.7
Date Fri, 07 May 1999 09:13:50 GMT
(I am not subscribed to neither mod_ssl list nor new-httpd lists, so
please CC me to any reply. In addition, I'm afraid this message will
be refused by these lists (some lists are closed for external
posters to avoid spamming); In such a case, please forward this
message to the lists).

Following the new rule regarding to inclusion of encryption code in
an Open-Source packages (which you can read about in zillion places
like:
http://www.news.com/News/Item/0,4,36217,00.html?tag=st.cn.1fd1.newstkr.ne
and others), I propose the following:

While Apache rules the web servers field, with about 60% (including
its derivatives), and no rivals (IIS has only 24%, Netscape is close
to zero), its presence is much weaker in the field of secure web
servers, including sites of e-commerce, etc. IMHO, one of the
reasons for this situation is that for newbies it is very hard to
install SSL for Apache, while in the "competitors" it is already
integrated. Contrary to other modules, this module is not part of
the standard distribution of Apache, because of legal issues.

Now, that these legal issues disappear, Apache has a great
opportunity to change the picture. I don't know what is going with
Apache 1.3.7 (where have the STATUS reports gone?), but I think it
may be a real revolution if mod_ssl can be included with the
standard distribution. It will remove one of the two areas where
Apache loses in comparisons (the other is the friendliness), and
will not only help Apache to gain a domination in the secure web
servers field, but also will strengthen its existing domination in
the field non secure web servers.

Thanks for your attention,
--
Eli Marmor