httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dan Kegel <d...@alumni.caltech.edu>
Subject Re: Mindcraft, part II - anyone want to help?
Date Wed, 05 May 1999 03:04:49 GMT
Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> Mindcraft has a response to the criticisms out there - "OK, help us come
> up with a good benchmark".  Thus:
>
> http://www.mindcraft.com/openbenchmark.html
>
> Chris DiBona at VA Research is trying to organize a testing rig - if
> anyone can help from the Apache tuning side of things (Dean?  Cliff?
> Marc?) send him an email at chris@dibona.com.

I've been in touch with Mindcraft, and am collecting my own notes
on tuning issues at http://www.kegel.com/mindcraft_redux.html
It's interesting reading, especially
http://bugs.apache.org/index/full/4268,
which shows the same kind of "Apache gets wedged in a slow state"
behavior Mindcraft found.

Could I bother you folks for a tuning question?
In a benchmark like Mindcraft's, should Apache's MaxClients be set to
the
physical number of client threads, or to a higher value?
Don't the server daemons sit around doing a lingering close
for some time after finishing each request?

Thanks,
Dan