httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dan Kegel <>
Subject Re: Mindcraft, part II - anyone want to help?
Date Wed, 05 May 1999 03:04:49 GMT
Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> Mindcraft has a response to the criticisms out there - "OK, help us come
> up with a good benchmark".  Thus:
> Chris DiBona at VA Research is trying to organize a testing rig - if
> anyone can help from the Apache tuning side of things (Dean?  Cliff?
> Marc?) send him an email at

I've been in touch with Mindcraft, and am collecting my own notes
on tuning issues at
It's interesting reading, especially,
which shows the same kind of "Apache gets wedged in a slow state"
behavior Mindcraft found.

Could I bother you folks for a tuning question?
In a benchmark like Mindcraft's, should Apache's MaxClients be set to
physical number of client threads, or to a higher value?
Don't the server daemons sit around doing a lingering close
for some time after finishing each request?

View raw message