httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: apr_ v.s. ap_
Date Tue, 04 May 1999 17:18:20 GMT
Ben Hyde wrote:

> Again this is a hypothetical future inconvenience cost
> compaired with a assured immediate high cost.

One is associated with design, and one with evolution.

> Denotational clarity is a good thing.  I've no problem with
> buying it whenever change is forced by unavoidable reasons.

Ah, so don't design it that way, just fix it when it becomes
unavoidable.

> Are we going to make any attempt to to screw the module authors.

I assume you meant "not to" as opposed to "to to".  Module
authors can tutu themselves without any assistance from me. :-)

Seriously..
Yes, I think attempts and efforts are going to be made.
Do you think it's a good idea to have a functionally
named routine keep the name even though the semantics have
changed between different versions of the API?

> > *shrug*
>
> Disinterest in the suffering of others is enivitable if there
> is nothing one can do about it.

You misunderstand my *shrug*.  It did not denote disinterest,
but acknowledgment that the issue is a moot one.

> In a sense I'm pressing this issue because I think there is a
> questionable disinterest developing for the migration of the
> installed base.

And I'm resisting because it strikes me as potentially misplaced
conservatism.  I'm willing to be convinced, but I haven't
seen an argument yet that does the trick.
--
#ken    P-)}