httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: apr_ v.s. ap_
Date Tue, 04 May 1999 15:04:29 GMT
Ben Hyde wrote:

> In what senario would APR introduce a name that collides with the
> names used by its principle customer and sponser?  That would be
> bizzare.

Mm.  And how about someone who wrote a module for Apache,
found functionality it liked, and assumed they were part of APR
and portable outside of Apache?  ap_find_token(), say, or
perhaps ap_escape_html(), or possibly ap_os_canonical_filename()?
Those would seem to perform httpd-neutral functions (from the
names, at least), but they're (currently) part of Apache, not
APR.

You seem to be concerned about people having to do a
s/ap_/apr_/g substitution and finding it painful; I'm
concerned about people being able to tell from looking at
a function name whether it's Apache-only or usable elsewhere
from the APR libraries.  Since most of the things going into
the I/O layering portion of APR have different semantics
than their 1.3 counterparts, all module ap_* function calls
will need to be reviewed by module authors anyway.

*shrug*
--
#ken    P-)}