httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject APR as a separate package (was Re: Suggestion: shtool)
Date Mon, 03 May 1999 08:25:34 GMT
Jim Jagielski wrote:

> Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> >
> > I agree with the others who don't want a dependency in the build process
> > on scripts maintained outside the Apache group.  Yes, I'm aware that there
> > are dependencies, like /bin/sh and Perl, but this space is much less
> > mature than the ones those tools cover.
> >

> Yep. That's a concern. What would be ideal is if there were someway
> to have 2 projects, running concurrently under the same CVS tree.
> We'll hit this if we have APR as a "separate" package as well, since
> A2.0 and APR will both develop concurrently.

Um... isn't the Apache Group's main purpose to see the development of
Apache? I continue to fail to see the rationale for any extended effort
in creating separable packages.

Sure, layering within a system is nice, but creating an effort for
packaging, testing, and documenting a subset of that seems to detract
from our main goal: an ever better Apache.

IMO, I'd hate to see any real effort devoted to packaging APR as a
separate entity. On the other hand: this whole thing *is* an open-source
effort and if somebody's interest lies in packaging APR (rather than,
say, updating mod_foobar), then they're certainly entitled and I
shouldn't say diddly-doo about it :-)

Basically, I'm just a bit unsure about expending energy at the ASF
level.

Cheers,
-g

--