httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: Context types in APR.
Date Mon, 03 May 1999 01:01:25 GMT
Ryan Bloom wrote:

> Ben's position:
>
> We should forget about context types.  All the stuff we were going to
> put in the context type really belongs in the pool structure.  This
> basically means we are adding a thread pointer, state flags, and
> possibly other fields later to the current Apache pools.  His
> argument is that the context abstraction is unnecessary, and we are
> better off just adding the fields to the current pools.

-1 on that right out of the box.  A 'pool' is a 'memory pool,'
pure and simple.  Do anything else with it, and you can't call it
a pool any more.  Do aught else with it, and you're hanging lots
of unnecessary baggage on a simple primitive type, baggage
that in many cases won't be used.

Pools as a portion of a larger structure (such as a context): good.
Lots of other stuff added to a pool structure: bad.  Bad bad bad.
--
#ken  P-)}