httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <>
Subject Re: Apache memory problems
Date Fri, 28 May 1999 13:55:32 GMT

It's possible that the OS itself is having a memory leak. What system
is this?

Usage of child processes will pretty much even out eventually, assuming that no
process gets a really large "job" to do (this can happen sometimes with PHP,
esp. if the script is bad and it runs until the limit).

Try setting MaxRequestPerChild to something lower than what you have.
That will/should stop the overwhelming of the box (but it won't fix
the leak, however).

Graham Leggett wrote:
> Hi all,
> A specific question about Apache and it's memory use.
> My v1.3.7-dev installation's private memory usage slowly exands over
> time, eventually overwhelming the box. The interesting part about this
> is that the private memory footprint of *all* the httpd client processes
> is roughly the same and grows at the same rate, which means that all the
> httpd processes are leaking in the same way at the same time.
> What part of the Apache code should I be looking in to fix this? Why
> should all the httpd clients expand by the same amount of memory at the
> same time? Can anyone offer any clues?
> I am desperate for some kind of clue to the cause of this problem, I
> have no idea where to even start looking.
> Can anyone help?
> Regards,
> Graham
> --