httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@engelschall.com>
Subject Re: mod_rewrite doesn't compile on Red Hat 6.0
Date Tue, 18 May 1999 11:30:37 GMT

In article <19990518003844.A15342@io.com> you wrote:

> mod_rewrite assumes that the presence of the ndbm library in the
> standard path implies the presence of ndbm.h in the standard path.
> This isn't the case on Red Hat 6, though. libndbm.{so,a} symlinks sit
> in /usr/lib, but ndbm.h is hidden away in /usr/include/db1.
>
> So, Configure will find libndbm. mod_rewrite keeps NO_DBM_REWRITEMAP
> undefined, which triggers an attempt to include ndbm.h, falling flat
> on its face.
>
> I haven't looked into the proper way to fix this, yet. Red Hat, in
> their RPM, fixes it by taking out the check for ndbm from
> src/helpers/find-dbm-lib. In my own compiles, I added
> INCLUDES="-I/usr/include/db1", but I haven't tested whether RewriteMap
> functionality still works or not.

RedHat (or more correct glibc 2.1) is brain dead in moving ndbm.h to a db1/
subdir. "#include <ndbm.h>" is the correct Unix-historic thing and when a
vendor breaks this he is broken and not Apache. Sure, we've to find a
workaround, of course. But I hate this stuff. And BTW, it's not only
mod_rewrite: All modules which use NDBM (i.e. mod_rewrite, mod_auth_dbm,
mod_ssl, mod_dav, etc. pp) have the same problem. I'll think about what the
best workaround is for 1.3.7...
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com