httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Manoj Kasichainula <man...@io.com>
Subject Re: Proposal: Get rid of most accept mutex calls on hybrid server.
Date Mon, 10 May 1999 20:24:41 GMT
On Fri, May 07, 1999 at 07:10:26PM -0700, unknown@riverstyx.net wrote:
> Well, conventional wisdom from those running Netscape Enterprise server
> holds that 32 threads/process is good, but I've been told that 16 is
> better. If you figure 900 concurrent connections, that's about 30-60
> processes.  I don't have any idea why one would want to lower the number
> of threads though, and 32 sounds pretty reasonable to me.

The only reasons I can think of to decrease the threads per process
ratio are to reduce the affect of a process crash, or because we have
a lot of synchronization overhead between threads. The first reason
does have merit. With the current state of the hybrid server, I don't
think the second reason applies. That might not be true for Netscape,
though.

I'm envisioning two extremes in how server administrators might want
to configure things:

- The server admin without much in the way of resources, serving
  mostly static content, who isn't too worried about child processes
  crashing. This person will want very few processes running, with
  lots of threads.

- A server with lots of dynamic content, not really needing the full
  benefit of threading. The server admin wants child process crashes
  to affect as few users as possible. This admin would have lots of
  processes, each with few threads.

"The only thing worse than a few big, regulated telephone monopolies is
few, bigger, unregulated telephone monopolies." - Bob Metcalfe