httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Manoj Kasichainula <man...@io.com>
Subject Re: Mindcraft, part II - anyone want to help?
Date Mon, 10 May 1999 06:53:03 GMT
On Sun, May 09, 1999 at 03:04:25PM +0000, Dan Kegel wrote:
> Manoj Kasichainula wrote:
> > I'm not the best person to answer this question, but I think the
> > server will only sit on the socket if no data arrives for 2 seconds
> > (because of old browser behavior), or when the client closes its
> > connection.
>
> I doubt the server sits on the socket when the
> client closes its connection after it receives the FIN.

My sentence was worded backwards. The server sites on the socket
*until* 2 idle seconds or when the client closes the connection,
whichever comes first.

I'm interpreting the lingering_close() function in http_main.c

> I just heard that there was a bug in the Linux 2.2 kernel,
> fixed in 2.2.7, which caused a 200ms delay on connection startup
> and shutdown.

I was getting serious performance problems in my testing of the hybrid
server on 2.2.5 even with almost no server load (factor of 10 loss on
my little network at home). 2.2.7 fixed them for me. I think this is
the reason.

Unfortunately, Red Hat 6.0 ships with 2.2.5 right now.

"People who live in glass houses should get dressed with the lights
out." - Yakko Warner