httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Manoj Kasichainula <man...@io.com>
Subject Re: Proposal: Get rid of most accept mutex calls on hybrid server.
Date Sat, 08 May 1999 01:45:41 GMT
On Fri, May 07, 1999 at 03:20:29PM -0700, Dean Gaudet wrote:
> This works reasonably on single cpu systems, or when you use kernel
> threads... but if you're using user threads on multicpu systems... you
> really want other processes to get a chance in there.
>
> Actually, I suspect that we don't really want to interprocess lock at all
> in the multithreaded server.  We use non-blocking listening sockets, and
> pay the wake-all cost for the small number of processes (we're talking
> like 8 processes, right?)

Well, that's what HARD_SERVER_LIMIT is set to now, but it was just a
random setting that sounded good. Could we ever want to run with just
a few threads per process and a lot of processes? If so, I guess we
could make accept locking depend on the number of processes, or make
it user configurable.

We also still have to retain the accept mutex for systems which croak
when accept isn't serialized.

"Would you die for The One?"
"I wouldn't get pizza for the one. That ain't my job." - J.M. Straczynski