httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Manoj Kasichainula <man...@io.com>
Subject Re: Graceful child shutdown in the presence of accept serialization
Date Sat, 08 May 1999 00:12:55 GMT
On Fri, May 07, 1999 at 03:36:41PM -0700, Dean Gaudet wrote:
> On Fri, 7 May 1999, Manoj Kasichainula wrote:
>
> > On Fri, May 07, 1999 at 03:18:02PM -0700, Dean Gaudet wrote:
> > > USE_PTHREAD_SERIALIZED_ACCEPT doesn't work though... we tried to use it on
> > > solaris, the only system which actually claims to implement interprocess
> > > pthread mutexes, and we ran into heaps of troubles, so we reverted.
> >
> > AIX 4.3.2 seems to implement it fine.
> >
> > Does Solaris 2.7 (or is it Solaris 7?) implement it properly?
>
> dunno really... I just wanted to caution that it's not terribly
> portable...

That's fine. The only case in the apache-apr repository where
USE_PTHREAD_SERIALIZED_ACCEPT is used is for AIX when
_POSIX_THREAD_PROCESS_SHARED is defined. That's AIX 4.3 and above, I
believe.

In fact, some AIX developers have told us that wake-only-one semantics
for accept() have been implemented for 4.3.2. We haven't tried using
them, though.

"Other people have dreams and I just laugh at them."
  -- Linus Torvalds, Linux Expo '98