httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Manoj Kasichainula <man...@io.com>
Subject Re: Graceful child shutdown in the presence of accept serialization
Date Sat, 08 May 1999 00:05:21 GMT
On Fri, May 07, 1999 at 04:42:36PM -0700, Valentin Bazavan wrote:
> Mutexes are not supposed to work among processes.

They are supposed to if _POSIX_THREAD_PROCESS_SHARED is defined.
Doesn't mean that they do, necessarily.

> Instead, semaphores should
> be used. Posix memory-based semaphores would fit the bill nicely (on systems
> that implement them).

I haven't checked for other systems yet, but for Linux 2.0 w/ glibc
2.0, they don't.

I was mildly surprised not to see POSIX sems as an accept mutex option
in Apache 1.3, though.

"Other people have dreams and I just laugh at them."
  -- Linus Torvalds, Linux Expo '98