httpd-dev mailing list archives

From sthoe...@efn.org (Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes)
Subject Re: Building Apache for OS/2
Date Wed, 26 May 1999 03:22:28 GMT
In article <19990525101902.A8675@engelschall.com>,
"Ralf S. Engelschall" <rse@engelschall.com> wrote:

>In article <eCpO3gzkguIM092yn@efn.org> you wrote:
>
>> [...]
>> Second, when building the support programs, emx's ld looks for os.a
>> and ap.a (it doesn't add the "lib" suffix) but these are built as
>> libos.a and libap.a.
>> [...]
>
>I don't know OS\2 and this EMX stuff, but when it looks for foo.a when you do
>a -lfoo I think this EMX stuff is broken and not Apache. Our Makefiles are
>correct IMO.

Pardon me.  It doesn't work on a standard os2+emx system, therefore it
is wrong for someone with such a system.

Actually I agree with you that emx is wrong.  I run a patched ld that
first searches for foo.a and then for libfoo.a.  I submitted the patch
to the emx list and it was firmly rejected for what seemed to me
insufficient reason.

However, they did point out that what the Makefile is doing is an
unnecessary kludge.  The -l flag should be used to load a library
which is installed into some standard directory.  It is inappropriate
to use it with a library that we just built in a known location,
specifying said location with a separate -L flag.  There is no reason
that I can think of not to just specify the path name to the library
on the command line.

Current libs for building support programs:

-L$(OSDIR) -L$(SRCDIR)/ap -los -lap

Positives:
   Inertia (keep things the way they are)
Negatives:
   Possibility of finding the wrong libos.a or libap.a installed in a
   standard lib directory.
   Doesn't work on os/2

My proposal:

$(OSDIR)/libos.a $(SRCDIR)/ap/libap.a

Positives:
   Always finds the right lib
   Works on os/2
Negatives:
   Requires someone to go to the trouble of committing my patch
   Nothing else I can think of

So how 'bout it?