httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "David Harris" <dhar...@drh.net>
Subject RE: Change relative path for AuthUserFile, perhaps?
Date Thu, 13 May 1999 14:39:12 GMT

I can't argue that having the password files outside of the DocumentRoot is
more fundamentally secure. However, I'm willing to trade some security for
some convenience here. And I think I can get most of my users to used a
blocked filename for their password files... they follow directions pretty
well.

But I don't think I'm giving up that much security in this ISP environment.
The files are not that secure, because in the UNIX permission world they are
global readable. Someone can just buy an account on that system and then
read the "secure" files.

I can't expect everyone to want the tradeoff that I do. I'm just thinking
that more people toss the .htaccess and password file in the same directory,
so a relative pathname might make it easier for these people. If we do this
change, you are still free to keep your password files out of the
DocumentRoot.

It's no biggie... just something that has annoyed me over the years with
Apache. (he, he.. and I'm probably spending more time lobbying for the
change than I will writing out full pathnames for Auth*File directives in
the next ten years.)

 - David Harris
   Principal Engineer, DRH Internet Services