httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "David Harris" <dhar...@drh.net>
Subject RE: Annoying Installation Problem and a Possible Elegant Solution
Date Thu, 13 May 1999 14:01:42 GMT

In rely to Eli Marmor, Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:
> You seem to be arguing in circle here.  But, I do think it is a good idea
> to add -f and -d switches to apachectl and if you feel like writing a
> little perl/sed/awk script that massages a set of .conf files to change
> the paths, go for it.  I personally don't think this is a big deal though.

A while go I created an Apache RPM file which does exactly this - it creates
a little test apache setup in /usr/apache/test by just modifying the
configuration files and apachectl with sed.

Grab it at:
http://www.davideous.com/misc/apache-mod_ssl.spec

No binary patching is required. That's because the binary path constants
_are just defaults_ and can be easily overridden in the configuration file.
Actually the default configuration file does not even use the defaults..
the -f option does everything you need.

Hope the example helps.

 - David Harris
   Principal Engineer, DRH Internet Services