httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "David Harris" <dhar...@drh.net>
Subject RE: Change relative path for AuthUserFile, perhaps?
Date Thu, 13 May 1999 03:52:54 GMT

unknown@riverstyx.net wrote:
> Is that really necessary?  If you go that route, you'll need to add a
> (normally) unnecessary <file .htpasswd> directive to httpd.conf.  it's
> still possible for the users to use .htpasswd files since they can just
> specify an absolute path.

Well, every .htpasswd file I see is in the same directory as the .htaccess
file... so specifying the full path gets annoying. I really hate moving a
directory and then having things break because of absolute pathnames. I
think the interpretation should be relative because the setup is usually
relative.

I don't see the <file .htpasswd> directive as a problem. It's actually
beside the point, because my .htpasswd files are already inside the
DocumentRoot... it's a prudent thing to do even if Auth*File is not relative
to the .htaccess file.

 - David Harris
   Principal Engineer, DRH Internet Services

Is that really necessary?  If you go that route, you'll need to add a
(normally) unnecessary <file .htpasswd> directive to httpd.conf.  it's
still possible for the users to use .htpasswd files since they can just
specify an absolute path.

---
tani hosokawa
river styx internet