httpd-dev mailing list archives

Subject Re: general/4213: .htaccess skipped when IE5 has friendly error messages set
Date Fri, 09 Apr 1999 02:47:42 GMT
In a message dated 99-04-08 22:56:40 EDT, Marc Slemko writes...

> Synopsis: .htaccess skipped when IE5 has friendly error messages set
>  State-Changed-From-To: open-closed
>  State-Changed-By: marc
>  State-Changed-When: Thu Apr  8 19:56:35 PDT 1999
>  State-Changed-Why:
>  Nope, this is entirely the fualt of the client.  Please
>  complain to Microsoft.
>  More to the point, you are doing the redirect by putting
>  a meta tag in the body.  Don't do that!  Just do a proper
>  HTTP redirect and the client can read it.
>  Alternatively, if you make your files large enough by padding
>  them with something, IE will display them.

That is... more than 512 bytes.

It appears ( I emphasize 'appears' for any MS'ers reading this thread' )
IE5 assumes that anything less than 512 bytes coming back as an
error response isn't worth displaying so that's when it puts up
it's default 'response' screens.

The assumption seem to be that anything less than 512  bytes will be nothing
less than cryptic and might make their users uncomfortable ( or worse yet...
generate a support call ).

Some pretty scary decision making showing its face there.

View raw message