httpd-dev mailing list archives

From <unkn...@riverstyx.net>
Subject Re: Holy FUD Batman!
Date Wed, 14 Apr 1999 07:46:04 GMT
I don't see how that's possible.  I've got servers doing way over 5.9
Mbps, and they're only PII-400 single processor machines, 384 megs RAM.
And they're doing a bunch of CGI on top of it.  Those look like the kind
of numbers the FreeBSD people were spewing on the freebsd-chat list.
They'd somehow screwed up getting Linux into SMP mode... I mean, really.
4 Xeon-400 processors?

"Windows NT Server and Internet Information Server (IIS) 4.0 reach a peak
of 3,771 requests/second and 22.4 Megabits/second(Mbps) of throughput. The
report goes on to show that Linux and the Apache 1.3.4 Web server reach a
peak of 1,000 request/second and 5.9 Mbps of throughput."

Looks like a factor of about 4 there to me.  I've used IIS server before,
and the performance was NOWHERE near that of Apache.  How odd.  I wonder
if they're intentionally screwing up...

---
tani hosokawa
river styx internet