httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <>
Subject Re: fcntl hanging without anyone holding the lock?
Date Mon, 26 Apr 1999 18:33:06 GMT

On Mon, 26 Apr 1999, Ryan Bloom wrote:

> > Then I kill -TERM process 1. It goes away, but process 2, thread 1
> > never wakes up out of fcntl. The source for the test is attached.
> >
> > This sounds like a bug in either the kernel or libc (is it?), but the
> > hybrid server is broken here too.
> I have just executed your code on an AIX system, and it displays the same
> behavior you are seeing on Linux.  This doesn't mean it isn't a
> kernel/libc bug, but in my opinion it makes the chances of that a bit less
> likely.  I would think that this bug would have been reported and/or fixed
> in one of the two systems.

I'm not convinced -- according to single unix, if the *process* dies, the
lock is released.  It specifically mentions thread everywhere else, but
the release of the lock is tied to the process.  (i.e. the document is
"thread aware" ;)

I think it's worthwhile for manoj to post this to linux-kernel saying
"we're not sure, is this right?"  cc: linux-threads as well.

View raw message