httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: Naughty ?
Date Wed, 21 Apr 1999 19:47:11 GMT

On Wed, 21 Apr 1999, Dirk-Willem van Gulik (kim) wrote:

> Dean Gaudet wrote:
>
> > Ugh.  I give up on this fight against creeping featurism.
> > Go ahead, reinvent unix.
>
> Well, unix tries to be a general purpose OS.. rather than
> something which spews out a stream of TCP/http replies. Whilst
> optimizing the latter; you reivent the first. But then, in
> the workshop I used to work we had exacty 171 totally different
> nuts of a 12 mm diameter. And they where al useful for something.

Why do I suddenly have this urge to call you a perl weenie?  I know you're
not one of *them* ;)

> > As far as experimental notice this:
> >
> >     res = core_module.translate_handler(r);
> >

> Yes. I know. A usefull but dirty thing. And hard to get around.

Any folks thinking about the API should look at why this is useful to
mod_mmap_static... to see if we can improve things.  The real difficulty
here is in the assumed mapping from url->filename -- abstracting that is a
nice fat juicy problem.

Dean