httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <>
Subject Re: New idea for apr types.
Date Fri, 16 Apr 1999 20:31:48 GMT
On Fri, 16 Apr 1999, Ryan Bloom wrote:

> This would allow Apache to run over ANY network type, as long as there was
> an apr layer written for it.

Uh, layered i/o solves this just fine.  Oh hey, it's the same as what
you're proposing.

> And the connection itself would determine how to read from the socket.
> The apr_create_*_connection call would populate the function pointers.

Look at NSPR.  connect/bind/listen/accept are part of the i/o layering.

> Of course, we would most likely only implement this sort of a scheme with
> some of the apr types.  I don't see a good reason to do this with threads,
> but I see great benefits to implementing locks this way.

I shiver at the thought of you doing this willy nilly.

I see great pains to implementing locks this way.  If all the locks have
to be out-of-line, and indirect function calls... ouch!  What a waste --
if the threads are userland we can do inline tight things if you don't put
some silly abstraction in the way.

View raw message