httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: ZDNet also Made a story. / Tuning guideliness ?
Date Thu, 15 Apr 1999 19:06:40 GMT
Uh, there is no such thing as a "5 minute guide to getting absolute
maximum performance out of the hardware you own/can afford".  There are
lots of us who understand how to build high end systems.  But there's no
way we could write down all our knowledge.  I mean, give me a break, the
experience I have is based on 10 years of optimizing and tuning a wide
variety of systems.  I put as much as I could easily explain into the
perf-tuning doc.

If you don't follow good engineering practices -- building and testing
prototypes before jumping into building a full system -- then none of us
can help you.  The answer to you "will this algorithm work?" question is
"build a prototype and try it."

I agree with zdnet that it's difficult to get tuning information for linux
(the stuff I know is from lurking on linux-kernel for several years).  But
I disagree with that statement applied to apache -- look at these two
links on the top page of the documentation:

 o General Performance hints for getting the best performance out of Apache
 o OS Specific Performance hints to help fine-tune specific platforms

If you can't find the top page of the documentation you've got more
pressing problems :)

Dean