httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: select vs. threads vs. fork
Date Mon, 19 Apr 1999 00:53:51 GMT
On Sun, 18 Apr 1999 unknown@riverstyx.net wrote:

> I was just wondering whether anyone's put any thought into making Apache
> into a select-based multiplexing web server instead of the concurrent
> process model that it currently is?  Looking around, I've seen a couple
> servers (thttpd, mathopd, boa) that are way higher in performance... and
> they look like they'd be really easy to code modules for.  I don't know

No.

If you look at nearly all those servers, you will see that they lack very
important functionality, they have scalabaility issues on SMP systems,
they have very restricted module functionality, can quickly fall over if
you accidently do the wrong thing causing them to block, etc.

That doesn't exclude the possiblity of having some special "fast path"
type code for static content where you can have a single thread handling a
bunch of static content being sent, etc.  But the general idea has to be a
thread based server.  That doesn't necessarily mean a thread for every
concurrent connection, but trying to avoid having each bit of general
functionality be generic threaded code isn't worthwhile.