httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@hyperreal.org>
Subject VOTE: apache-apr -> (1.4|2.0)
Date Sat, 17 Apr 1999 03:16:05 GMT

Hi folks.  The time has come to make a decision; and apologies if this
seems out of line, but it seems like the arguments have been made, and
it's time to decide, as a group.  This is an issue worth gathering the
collective opinion on, as it's a change that affects everyone working or
intending to work on the code in question.  So I'm going to propose a
process for this; if anyone has an issue with it, and feels strongly this
is the wrong way to go, feel free to speak your mind, but please use a
different subject line.

It will work this way: read the propositions below, and then snip the
ballot at the bottom, make your selections, and send that to the list,
using this subject line. I will collect responses through Tuesday night,
and summarize for the list, and then take a set of actions (related to CVS
wrangling) based on those conclusions.  If you want to change your mind,
submit another ballot; I'll select only the latest ballot from any single
person. Obviously, this is not a secret ballot.

#######

Question I: Should the next release of Apache be based on the hybrid
"apache-apr" prototype?
  YES  [ ]       NO  [ ]

Question II: Should the next release of Apache be called 1.4 or 2.0, even
if multithreading and a portability API are the only new additions?
  YES  [ ]       NO  [ ]

Question III: If you answered "yes" to question I, and consider 'N' to be
either 1.4 or 2.0 based on your answer to question II, is the following a
reasonable set of actions to take?

  a) Rename the "apache-2.0" CVS module to "apache-nspr".
     YES  [ ]       NO  [ ]

  b) Move the "2.0 design documents" from apache-nspr to a new
     directory under apache-site
     YES  [ ]       NO  [ ]

  c) Create a new "apache-N" module, import APACHE_1_3_6 as tagged
     from the apache_1.3 module, and patch it to bring it up to apache-apr
     functionality.
     YES  [ ]       NO  [ ]

  d) *Alternately to IIIc:* create the "apache-N" module and import the
     apache-apr/pthreads tree from the "apache-apr" repository.
     YES  [ ]       NO  [ ]

  e) "apache-apr" should be kept around a project aimed at developing a
     generic portability layer for other Apache projects (or even
     non-Apache).

Vote early, vote often!

	Brian

#######