httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <>
Subject Re: Holy FUD Batman!
Date Wed, 14 Apr 1999 10:11:09 GMT
On Wed, 14 Apr 1999, John Bley wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Apr 1999 wrote:
> > It was with 1.3.4 which has the exponential fork rate... so it should only
> > take about 11 seconds to get up to 256 processes... The test really didn't
> > seem to simulate anything like a normal webserver that I've ever seen
> > though.
> But they also used:
>   MinSpareServers 1
> (whereas the default is 5)
> Unless I'm very wrong, the documentation explains that the "exponential"
> rate continues until the MinSpareServers level of spare servers is
> achieved, and since MinSpareServers is 1, this feels rather suboptimal.

Not really; if you have 200 connections being made, then exponential
spawning will continue until 201 servers are running.

> You're absolutely right about the test not seeming to simulate a normal
> webserver, even where "normal" is defined as "benchmark environment."

Facts are that web benchmark numbers today aren't about useful things,
they aren't about trying to simulate real users, they aren't about trying
to simulate real server content, and they aren't about giving people
valuable information that will actually help them in doing planning for
high-traffic sites.

That doesn't mean they aren't useful or that they aren't fun to optimize

View raw message