httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: Holy FUD Batman!
Date Wed, 14 Apr 1999 08:12:25 GMT
On Wed, 14 Apr 1999 unknown@riverstyx.net wrote:

> Something just occurred to me reading that dejanews post... On Linux, last
> I checked, NR_TASKS=512 means MAX_TASKS_PER_USER is only 256 (NR_TASKS/2).
> So, with MaxClients=460, your server will pretty much just "pop".  Ends up
> with a bunch of screwed up processes that sometimes don't respond to
> signals (even KILL).

There are many such possibilities.  Unfortunately, Linux has some rather
low and poorly documented limits in this area.

Such problems, as long as Linux handles them properly by having
fork() fail or something, should have been reported in the error logs
by Apache.  They claim there was nothing there.