httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@hyperreal.org>
Subject Re: NSPR License
Date Sat, 10 Apr 1999 06:28:54 GMT
On Fri, 9 Apr 1999, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> Wilfredo Sanchez wrote:
> >
> >   This may be noise coming late, but I just had lunch with Chris
> > McAfee at Netscape and met some of the Mozilla team, to get advice on
> > Darwin stuff. While I was there, they mentioned that the license is
> > rolling Real Soon Now (like next week) including changes made
> > specifically to "make the Apache guys happy".
>
> Well, the license may or not be better, but just how "solid" is
> Mozilla now? I'm not a gamblin' man, but I wouldn't put my eggs into
> that basket right now.

So what?  I mean, Netscape could stop participating in the Mozilla project
entirely, and we could still continue to use and improve the NSPR code in
our tree.  Yes, it would mean work required to maintain it, and even
though we don't use all the NSPR code, we could open it up as a separate
cvs module so others can help us out too.  NSPR is probably the most
generically useful library in the entire project, and could be used behind
any open-source product, client or server, that could benefit from
threading.

	Brian