httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@hyperreal.org>
Subject Re: Adopting apache-apr/pthreads as base for apache-1.4?
Date Wed, 07 Apr 1999 23:49:56 GMT
On Tue, 6 Apr 1999, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> As a technical discussion jumping-off place, I'd like to
> propose that we set up a repository module for Apache 1.4,
> based upon the thread/process hybrid server stuff in the
> apache-apr/pthreads CVS module.
>
> I think the hybrid server should be the next major release
> of Apache.  I think one of the goals should be to maintain
> as much compatibility as possible with platforms (and modules)
> supported on 1.3 (i.e., minimal API changes), but moving to
> allow the use of threads where available.
>
> Any opposed?

I'd prefer we called it 2.0.  Threading was really the only thing I think
everyone felt was necessary for 2.0, in the long run.  I/O abstraction and
a better config file format and all that are desireable, but let's attack
these problems one at a time rather than try and swallow them all at once
(which is what's kept us from hitting a 2.0 even though we've been around
for 4 years now).

The argument that we should only go for a major number change when the
internal API's are no longer compatible doesn't wash for me; the APIs have
constantly evolved over the last few years, and if you ask people if
they'd expect their plug-ins for Netscape 3 to run on Netscape 4, they'd
probably say yes.

	Brian