httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Bloom <...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-apr/apr/network_io/unix sendrecv.c
Date Mon, 19 Apr 1999 12:37:58 GMT
>   Modified:    apr/network_io/unix sendrecv.c
>   Log:
>   Fix the algorithm for apr_send.  The same needs to be done for apr_read.
>   Why are these functions called send and recv when they have no relation
>   to the UNIX system functions send and recv?  write_with_nonblocking_timeout
>   is what it does.

They are called apr_send and apr_recv because they implement the apr send
and recv functions.  On Windows, they will use send and recv.  I wasn't
following any real naming guidelines, except for what makes sense when
writing the code.  the name apr_write_with_nonblocking_timeout seemed long
and unnecessary to me.  This is the apr primitive to send data over a
network.  To me, that is sending.

The original design document said we were going to use POSIX type calls,
but that was decided against, so I left most of the names the same because
they made sense, and changed arguments were appropriate.

Ryan

Ryan Bloom		rbb@raleigh.ibm.com
4205 S Miami Blvd