httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Bloom <...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Re: NSPR ping.
Date Tue, 06 Apr 1999 12:09:01 GMT
> Sorry for the lame question.. Whats the difference between NSPR and APR?

NSPR is Netscape's Portable Run-Time, and it has been written and released
in open source, but with a License that has some virus-like properties
that makes it not nice to some people.

APR is Apache Portable Run-Time, and it hasn't been written yet, but it
has been designed.  It will be much smaller than NSPR and it will come
without some of the overhead that NSPR has.

Ryan

> Jim Jagielski wrote:
> >
> > Ryan Bloom wrote:
> > >
> > > I am +1 on giving up on NSPR now, and beginning work on APR.
> > >

> > I tend to agree. I think that NSPR, and maybe a lot of the power and
> > push behind Mozilla, may be lost now. Despite a small vague Email from
> > Steve Case, I think most believe that Mozilla is not long for this
> > mortal coil.
> >
> > Not only that, but also as mentioned before, APR allows us to avoid
> > the extra baggage that NSPR has with it, making porting to unsupported
> > platforms more troublesome than it should be. With APR we can specify
> > _exactly_ what functionality we need, what it depends on and cut-and-dried
> > methods of implementing them on various platforms.
> >
> > --
> >    Jim Jagielski   |||   jim@jaguNET.com   |||   http://www.jaguNET.com/
> >             "That's no ordinary rabbit... that's the most foul,
> >             cruel and bad-tempered rodent you ever laid eyes on"
>
> --
> "I can get you anything! Money, power, women... Men?"
> --http://random.gimp.org --mailto:random@gimp.org --UIN 23939474

Ryan Bloom		rbb@raleigh.ibm.com
4205 S Miami Blvd