httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Tony Finch <...@dotat.at>
Subject Re: [Fwd: MSIE4 & Pragma]
Date Tue, 06 Apr 1999 14:58:29 GMT
"Bill Jones" <bill@fccj.org> wrote:
>Brian Schau <bsc@fleggaard.dk> wrote:
>>
>> Don't know if you guys know this, but:
>>
>>> "Pragma: No-cache" Tag May Not Prevent Page from Being Cached (Q222064)
>> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q222/0/64.asp
>
>I am pretty sure that the pragma: no-cache is for PROXY servers only.

If you look at the article mentioned you'll see that it refers to a
bug in IE related to handling HTML <META HTTP-EQUIV> tags, which are
of course ignored by proxy caches [1]. They are so broken that no-one
should use them.

[1] Unlike most proxies, Cache-Flow boxen do parse HTML in order to
pre-fetch inline images, but I don't know whether they also pay
attention to <META HTTP-EQUIV>...

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch  dot@dotat.at  fanf@demon.net